RealTimeDesigner Support Network
Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zapier Integration

Posted by mycustomhoodies 
Zapier Integration
March 05, 2020 10:24PM
Has anyone tried to use Zapier integration? I was just curious as this could possibly be extremely helpful.

Basically, I am trying to pull a new order out of RTD API, and then it goes to Zapier, and then it will automatically create a new card in something like Trello. Anyone have any experience with this? I've tried to get it to work and can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Zapier Integration
March 06, 2020 02:09AM
I did several integration projects with various platforms, but never with Zapier.
In general, as far as you do have a server able to make RTD API calls you can fetch whatever you want from the RTD.
So, how much you can integrate really depends on which modification abilities you have on the target platform.

For example, in case of something you host yourself (like Wordpress or Opencart), then you can actually alter the files of the receiving platform and this allows you to do almost everything you want.
In case of hosted platforms (like Shopify or Bigcommerce), it really depends on how much you can "inject" code in them.
As and example, for BigCommerce I did integrations using javascript to alter some pages' look, returning the JS to be executed from a PHP script hosted in the RTD that fetched RTD API values.

In general, doing integrations (and assuming the target system ALLOWS to feed data in and alter its layout) requires good coding abilities and good knowledge of both the serving system (RTD API) and the receiver system.
As I don't know anything about Zapier, I guess the question is what they allow you to do.

My normal process if to first see if I can force passing and using dummy static data and, if so, start replacing them with dynamic data from the API in any way.
cos
March 06, 2020 11:19AM
Hey. I brought this subject up some time ago. Zapier is very popular and integrates with a boatload of services. Such services are getting more common and being integrated into just about everything these days, especially Zapier. It add an great deal of flexibility without using a programmer to do the work.
March 06, 2020 01:26PM
Yes, with Zapier it lets you bring in pretty much any API data you want and then can automatically send it to another app or program. It's pretty neat. I tried setting it up last night, but I just don't think I know enough about API. I have a hosted Wordress press site on a server I was trying to do it with, but I kept getting errors specifically about the file I have on my server. Just wasn't sure if anyone had gotten it to work yet. I think it would be great for many of us that use RTD as we could then link it to thousands of other apps and automate a lot of processes.
cos
March 06, 2020 02:09PM
I think the proper process is for RTD to work with Zapier to make a Zap and then provide private access to RTD admins who can easily integrate it with all other Zapier Zaps. It's really simple once the RTD Zap is in the system. There's no other guess work or messing around. Just match up this with that for each step you want.
March 06, 2020 04:08PM
cos - Yes, that is exactly what needs to happen. Tried to do it on my own but just don't know enough about API to do it.
March 07, 2020 02:25AM
I'd love to help, but here I know nothing about Zapier.
Is a "Zap" some kind of module you configure in Zapier that basically works as a bridge to the RTD API?
Said that way soulds like a place where you have to enter your credentials and then issue to it your RTD API requests instead of using the RTD API directly?
cos
March 07, 2020 08:24AM
Alex, I think Zapier calls it Zapier Integration. You as the developer of an integration (Zap is what I've always called it) build the desired functionality using Zapier's methods. After the integration is available it's very easy for users to connect rtd to the many other services offered thru Zapier. RTD users would have private access to use the integration. You probably wouldn't allow it available publicly. At least that's how some other Zaps I use handle it for specialized uses. Implementing this could possibly free you up from some of the repetitive mundane work you are asked to do Zapier Integration Platform Documentation
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login