Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Download order pdf's varying significantly from orginal eps clips

Posted by mybambino 
Download order pdf's varying significantly from orginal eps clips
February 15, 2015 10:24PM
Hi,

I am a a little dazed and confused. Not sure if this has always been happening to me or not. I placed a test order for a clip and the download order pdf was showing the pink(inthe eps clip) to be purple. It looks to be happening in all of my clips. Here is an 0000308572 the eps clip is pink and the downloaded order the pink is purple. I know that we are converting from vector to raster to vector but is there a way to minimize this change. I don't recall it being this different a month ago. I tested an .svg clip and I did not have a color change at all on the download. Should I be using this format for clips instead. Of course downside, I would have to change all clip cats and templates etc. Also the svg clips show like 2000 colors so users can't make color changes. What do you thinK?

Thanks,
don
Re: Download order pdf's varying significantly from orginal eps clips
February 16, 2015 09:03PM
I changed nothing recently on vector generation, but I see wha the issue could be.
That clipart's chage really looks like a CMYK/RGB alteration.
That's normally more visible in cliparts that are using colors close to the spots, which is the Magenta in this case.
I might imagine also other orders you noticed this in are probably using cliparts with colors close to the spots.
Is the EPS you used there an RGB or a CMYK one?

If CMYK, I'd try converting it in RTD and results should be more similar (because RTD has to convert them in RGB to display on users' screens).

For color change cliparts, it's the same thing. Best formats are normally EPS or PDF in RGB mode, because that way the recolor will have the best match, and no heavy alterations because the mode conversion will happen.

On a side note, one thing I noticed in that order's product: you seem not to have any BGcolor defined.
If you don't want them, I would in any case strongly suggest to set one (normally white, as the only one).
With only one color the BGcolor list will still not be shown but you will avoid possible unecpected results because of the unset colors.
Infact, especially in PDF downloads, that non-color could be interpreted as both transparent or black by different programs.
In general, in the configure products section, it is always a good idea to have no fields set to "unset" as your BGcolor is now.
February 17, 2015 12:19AM
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the response.
Just to make sure, when you said Best formats are normally EPS or PDF in RGB mode. You meant EPS and SVG in RGB mode?

I did another test order this time with an svg clip in rgb mode and it comes out perfectly with the color. It also looks better(more realistic) in the RTD for the customer as well. If you look at order # 0000308945 you will see the downloaded pdf is nearly identical to the orginal svg clip.

Before I switch at least my Magenta clips to SVG, I want to make sure that you think this is an acceptable approach.

thanks,
don
February 17, 2015 09:01AM
Every approach is acceptable.
Personally, Ireally prefer EPS and PDF, because I'm more "sure" about the results.
SVG can sometimes be interpreted in different ways by different parsers, so it's somehow to be considered "less stable".
Also, as of now, for several reasons the color count of SVG files is always higher, making it unsuitable to cliparts meant to have color change.
In any case, this is not universal and might be related to a number of factors.
For exmaple, if color change is not required, then also SVG will work just fine.

That said, I confirm your issue is 99% about the CMYK/RGB thing. SVG looks better probably simply because SVG does not support CMYK at all.
IMHO, I would give the EPS or PDF in RGB mode a try.
February 17, 2015 10:16AM
Hi,

That example clip was rgb eps. Also, when I upload pdf clips I get a white background. Is there something I should be doing to remove this?

Thanks,
don
February 17, 2015 12:04PM
PDF needs to be a version that supports transparency. If you're seeing the BG, probably you're saving as an old version, or without setting that color as transparent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 12:05PM by Alex.
cos
February 17, 2015 06:57PM
Don. I can confirm that eps and pdf are more reliable in the designer. After much testing and real world processing I think that svg is not the best choice for most reproductive purposes. About pdf white backgrounds. Whatever software you are using to work with the pdf needs to be able to export without a background color (white). Check your settings there. We use Illustrator and a new smoking Mac app Affinity Designer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login