Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Designer Revision date/time stamp

Posted by cos 
cos
Designer Revision date/time stamp
October 24, 2014 11:17AM
Could you add the date/time stamp to Designer Revisions? There may be some crafty weasels who change things at a much later date if an order doesn't get locked.

This is also a friendly reminder to everyone to remember to lock orders when going to production. angry smiley
Re: Designer Revision date/time stamp
November 01, 2014 02:59AM
2 quick questions:

1) just for checking tests, can you gimmie an order# of yours which includes revisions?
2) this date/time, where do you want it, other than admin panel? I guess the user revise page too, but asking in case I'm forgetting some other place.
cos
May 21, 2015 01:33PM
Giving this discussion a bit of thought for a while to be sure of what direction this needs. There are too many ways the "gotcha" can happen. So we've decided that for our staff to "remember" to change the status is never going to happen consistently. There are already too many things one needs to remember to do when working with rtd design gens.

The Revise Design needs to have a limiter. Either variable by admins or a set limit.

Some companies ship same day. Probably would prefer NO revise.
Some companies ship next day. Might want a two hour limit.
Some companies may always want to be contacted before a revise is performed.

You get the idea. Something needs to be there to remove the burden of remembering to lock the revise manually. I think a time variable set by admins would be ideal. If that's not possible, then a short default, say one hour would be better. In the button behavior, if the design is locked, the popup text is editable in the Configure Texts Labels, so it's easy to add instructions of what customers options are, such as calling.

Also, after the revision has been performed by user (not the admins revision), and SAVE THIS DESIGN has been clicked, a DESIGN HAS BEEN REVISED notification emails should be automatically sent to company and customers and a listing of revisions should appear in that ORDER REVISE window. This would assure that everyone received the notification and has in writing that it was done. Then clicking VIEW MESSAGE HISTORY can reveal more detail. If customer desires to use the email submission feature on that page they can still do that. Even if redundant, it's better than no message.

To answer your question . . . date/time stamps. In admin panel and revise page.
May 22, 2015 04:25AM
Ok, let's start with something.

I have added "Last modified on" datestamp, using as reference the thumbnail's creation date.
It's in admin panel for every item, right above the "Set for hires generation" checkbox.

For revision pages, it's listed on the header of each item when visiting the "DESIGN CHANGES" page.

Now let's talk about notifications: saving a revision is not the only thing that could happen. Users could also remove them.
So, my silly question: you should be emailed only when a new one is added?
In your scenario you would be NOT when one is removed so, if the user is playing around to create something and changes his mind, your notification would refer to something that might even not be there anymore.
However, if this is an issue or not, only you as a real-world user should know.
IMHO, and considering the user KNOWS he has a new revision because he made it himself, what I'd do is to email nothing to him, but send a notification to you on both creation and removal actions. Possibly, adding right in the MESSAGE HISTORY notes about that (IE: revision #x created by customer on yyy, revision #x removed by company on zzz).

What about something like that?
cos
May 26, 2015 03:37PM
Last modified datestamp on admin pane and revision pages is perfect.

As per notifications . . . your are correct about removals. And notifications do not need to go to user unless they type into the email notification thing.

This is a good start and really looking forward to discussion about limiting revisions.

Thanks Alex.
cos
June 02, 2015 02:36PM
Another idea came to mind . . . How about a trigger that locks the revisions when hires gen is created?
cos
June 11, 2015 10:49AM
Or . . . add another button next to Generate File - "Generate File/Lock Revisions"
June 28, 2015 05:02AM
Sorry for the delay, here I am.

I would not use the trigger. So often you first generate the hi-res, then you see something is not ok and you THEN want to go for a revision.
I think assuming the design is to be considered final only because you created an hi-res is not really a good assumption.

So, 2nd option is better, so... it's done!

There are now 2 buttons to generate. However, the new one needs to make clear you're going to perform such action, so I forced you to accept a confirm box (just as it happens when you move orders in auto-locking sections, for instance).

Check it out and let me know smiling smiley
cos
June 28, 2015 07:34AM
The second button is the perfect solution from my perspective. This solves problems and saves time tremendously. A thought about this: "So often you first generate the hi-res, then you see something is not ok and THEN want to go for a revision." So often, at least from our experience, after generating the hires, we find that a different filetype hires is required way more often than revising the design. I do not think the confirm box is necessary. It's a simple step to unlock the file if it is locked and one which isn't needed nearly as often as locking the file. It adds another click, but isn't a big deal. Very happy to have this feature regardless.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login