Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Google Chrome locking items

Posted by cos 
cos
Google Chrome locking items
April 27, 2014 07:23AM
Had a user report that unable to move or resize items using latest versions Google Chrome and Win 8.1. Tried it myself and have same issue. Any other RTD's having this issue or might it be with our particular RTD site?
Re: Google Chrome locking items
April 27, 2014 09:15AM
I tried on Chrome versions 34.0.1847.116 m and 34.0.1847.131 m, and all seems to work fine.
However, on a win7 machine. Don't have any with win8.1 to try on.

Can anyone else confirm the issue on any other system, or may it really be a Windows-related problem?
April 27, 2014 10:59AM
I am on Windows 7 but tried both versions of Chrome like Alex did and it worked fine. Probably a Windows 8 issue.
April 27, 2014 09:27PM
I confirm it's a Chrome issue, but it's pretty boring to explain now.
Apparently there's no easy solution, but i have a question first: the Win8 machine you tried on has touchscreen abilities as well, or it's a normal laptop/desktop?
cos
April 28, 2014 06:19AM
Normal laptop/desktop. IMO Win 8 is the wackiest version of windows to date.
April 28, 2014 08:50AM
Damn... then we have a strange problem.
Basically, the issue is that Win 8 replies positive to the "ontouchstart" event, which we use to identify touch based devices.
In case this reply is positive, all the events (including the ones controlling movement and resize) expects a touch action to be fired.
This of course means that it is no more listening to mouse events, as the coordinate system to detemine where your "pointer" is are completely different.

I tried on a win8 tablet, and although moving by mouse/pen was impossible, dragging with fingers worked.
As a test I tried to disable the touch detection, and pen worked fine. However, naturally, fingers were no more.
Long story short, in case of positive reply for touch events, using in the same moment both mouse/pen and fingers is not possible.

What you are saying me seems to indicate that win8 makes chrome replying positive to touch events even if a real touch is not there at all, and that's causing the issue making impossible to use the mouse.
And, of course, this may be a big issue as all new computers are sold with win8.1 which at this point may suffer the same issue as well (although in latest versions of Chrome only).

This was to explain the problem. Now about the solution:
I tried to alter the code to force even click events to still be detected even when touch is found.
Tried on the iPad and seems to work fine, but the different coord system could still give problems.

i'd need you to try again on that win8.1 machine and let me know if now it works as expected.

Thanks!
cos
April 28, 2014 09:12AM
Sorry. Same response after closing and reopening.
April 29, 2014 09:18AM
Uhm, ok. I am about to leave now, on the plane in few hours.
In the meanwhile, can you try to visit with that machine this link and tell me what it reports?
http://designer.realtimedesigner.com/temp/coordtest.php
cos
April 29, 2014 09:30AM
Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.131 Safari/537.36

touch event: DETECTED
April 29, 2014 10:35AM
Ok, this confirms the issue. Chrome+win8.1 are invoking the touch events even if the computer is not a touch device at all.
I'll have to do some testing when back in Italy, I'll post more news ASAP.
May 01, 2014 03:12AM
I made another test, please try again now. Is the issue solved?
cos
May 01, 2014 05:50AM
Good news. You fixed it.
May 01, 2014 01:56PM
:-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login