Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Xmas Pack Release

Posted by cos 
cos
Xmas Pack Release
December 31, 2011 02:15PM
Wow. This is great stuff. Will take a few days to get it all digested. Immediately useable greatness. Some observations:

1. Instant Pricing Module - I like this - ready to go module - no configuration necessary. Place it in an iframe on your site. Presto.
Hopefully this can be integrated with CSS real soon so we can customize it. Pardon me if I suggest that the default light blue background be changed to white and the Green background on the title be changed to Gray of some sorts? Perhaps this might fit in better with most sites until styling is completed.

2. Instant Pricing didn't work at first with one of our products due to a mistaken setting in Configure Product Configurator (I nominate that as "Wackiest Title of the Year"). Under General Options the Colors Default was set to "0" and therefore no pricing info appeared. Changed to Fullcolor or other number and works fine. Admins might want to check your own settings there if you have problems.

3. BTW . . . I have no idea what "delete the logo image in admin panel" is referring to.

4. Flip and Mirror in vector output . . . one more "gotcha" gone! Thank you.

5. Live FedEx. Big. Very Big.

6. Generate hires without entering in admin panel. Will this work only with new orders? Cannot get this to show for current order testing (using on Order Submittal to Company with Export Template).

7. Testing with touch devices - very important! These things are taking over the mainstream. We all need to collaborate to get this implemented. From an article on tuaw.com
tuaw.com
both iOS and Android saw not only record activations over the holiday weekend, with as many as 6.8 million new devices connecting up to their respective app stores for the first time. And of course with new devices comes new app downloads: Flurry says there were around 242 million app downloads on Christmas Day alone, a rise of more than 125% compared to the previous month's average (which itself has been high, I believe, ever since Thanksgiving). GigaOm also cites some other usage figures, including the fact that over 7% of new purchases made on a mobile device this past Sunday were on an iPad. That means people wasted no time at all in breaking open their new Apple tablets and using them to buy more stuff.

Thank you Alex for Christmas after Christmas! Getting ready for 2012.
Re: Xmas Pack Release
January 01, 2012 08:15AM
Quick replies:

1. I will look to add a CSS for it.
The idea was be to create a new "Direct CSS" like section in which to place CSS code that will be used only by embeddable modules. So far, this would mean the ext_useraccess and the instant_pricing pages, but could be a useful setup to be ready for eventual new embeddable modules in future.
About colors, I agree: the module is not used a lot already, so I changed defaults for the embeddable version as per you suggestions.
I've already created a separate CSS file for it, so it will not take long to provide an interface to fully change it.

2. Actually, there's a reason for that, even if it may sound counter-intuitive.
When it was created, it was meant to be a tool to show customers the options of the product configurator only.
So, a tool to know the cost of the item once customer selects which options he wanted.
For this reason, "Product Configurator" and "Instant Pricing" are basically to be considered very tied together.
Later on we may want to change some wording of it, as well as writing dedicated pages for the manual.

3. in SYSTEM OPTIONS => Company Setup, on bottom of page. There's now a button to delete the logo image, which before was required to be filled.

6. Yes, as it is now it only works with new orders. Or, in other words, it's used ONLY in the email sent to company on new order submittal. The idea was obviously to avoid sending an hires-creation link to customers, or in any case be sure only admins can receive it.
Can naturally be discussed, if someone will propose good reasons to have it shown also in other scenarios.

7. Yup, definitively this will need to be faced more in depth. Main goal on my side is to be able to claim RTD as working on touch devices within the ISA Tradeshow in March.
January 01, 2012 10:40PM
I too will have to find time to dig into all these.

Unfortunately there is one big thing still stopping me in RTD. Customer can't just input muliple sizes when selecting from certain color/size limits (in BG COLORS LIMIT FUNCTION)...

My brain is fried at this point...lots going on...

In short...Wifes mom diagnosed with breast cancer, both breast removed, and then they found in lymph nodes..they removed those too...12 weeks of chemo coming up for her...my wife is devestated and she still has heart issues (that are undiagnosed..and has been medically banned from driving...and now school for her starts back in January (nursing) and then on top of it all....my little boy goes back for his Ultrasound to see if his kidney got better...(praying and crossing my fingers on this one)...oh yeah...and its a new year...

So..yeah...lots going on...
January 02, 2012 08:11AM
Southland,

Sorry to hear such bad news about your private life. Hope things will get better, will keep praying for you.

As for RTD: you know we have to keep things as general as possible, so the matter is to create/obtain a senseful flow by using properly the available tools we do offer.
As written in this post, the "Normal" TP mode acts when you click the "add to cart" button.
This means a step before really adding to cart, and in there you can select quantities for multiple sizes.
My guess is you may simply want to change the icon to be shown as the "add to cart" button. If you will have an icon saying, for example, "choose size and quantities", wouldn't the flow be senseful enough?

We cannot reverse the order of how entire RTD works for a single specific need: but to me, the main matter is again not to trust the "name" of RTD tools, but what they do. With the Normal TP mode, "add to cart" basically becomes a "multiple sizes selector" itself.
All these functions are considered beta, so there's room to change them if needed: needless to say this will require some good testing by users in order to fully understand what they can currently do. It will be impossible to discuss how to change them till what they currently offer isn't fully understood.
Building a flow involves using many tools (styles, icons, wording, etc...), not just activating a single option.
January 11, 2012 05:57PM
Maybe mycustomhoodies can chime in on this...how bout it? What are your thoughts about entering multiple qty but disallowing certain sizes (that dont come in that color).

As far as personal life...yeah..its all a mess...nothing has changed since I lost talked to you guys.....keep praying....it sucks right now. 2012 is not starting off very well.
January 11, 2012 06:42PM
I'm no good in these things, but I truly hope 2012 will proceed better than how it started. Keep praying.

Both current TP modes should already hide from possible sizes list sizes that have current BG color in their exclusion list.
That list is actually located in the "configure product" area, in:
Configure Sizes => FIXED SIZES => EXTRA OPTIONS => BG Prefs

Option is the one on top, "BACKGROUND COLORS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS SIZE"
January 14, 2012 02:35PM
You lost me Alex.

I will try and catch you on skype soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login