RealTimeDesigner Support Network
Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Default for shipping method

Posted by SMTO 
Default for shipping method
June 28, 2010 06:48PM
We use UPS and also have a 'local pick up' option for the user. When I set up RTD, I selected ground ups. Later I added a local pickup option. When the user 'calculates and show shipping options and sales tax' the UPS option 'Method' shows with the
local pick up on top ( it's defaulted) and the UPS ground 2nd on the list.

Is there a way to get the 'ground' on top of the list or 'defaulted' for the user? Some users are not savvy enough know if your out of state to click on ground!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 11:06AM by SMTO.
Re: Default for shipping method
July 13, 2010 11:07AM
Bump.
July 13, 2010 01:11PM
Uhm....

I see the problem. Basically, fighting with possible "not skilled enough" users.
There may be various solutions to this, but i'd like to avoid adding too many options.

The reason of current behavior is quite easy: shipping options are ordered by cost, so that more expensive solutions are listed on bottom. Problem is that the defaulted value is the very first, which in case of a customer pickup option means the "zero values" options is shown on top and selected as default.

I tried now to apply a possible solution which involves no new config options for RTD users.
I left the show order as is, but default is now the first "non-zero" value. This still shows customer pickup as first option on top, but it would no more be selected as default.

Let me know if you think this may be enough. IF not, other options are possible: but it will require to add now config entries in RTD, which i'd gladly avoind in order to keep it as simple as possible (there are already so many options out there!)
cos
July 13, 2010 03:27PM
Alex, this is a great solution. Maybe most users pick UPS Ground instead of customer pickup. I like it. Often customers will do the stupid thing.
July 13, 2010 03:50PM
Sounds like a good way to go Alex. Just have to wait and see.
Thanks for the solution.
July 13, 2010 04:02PM
Good.
Let me know about real-world experiences!
cos
December 12, 2014 11:27AM
Resurrection Day . . . For me and this topic. Merry Christmas everyone.

This thread is pretty old, but I can't find a newer one on the subject. As we've added multiple shipping options the default becomes more desirable to set.

The current solution
Alex
I left the show order as is, but default is now the first "non-zero" value. This still shows customer pickup as first option on top, but it would no more be selected as default. Let me know if you think this may be enough. IF not, other options are possible: but it will require to add now config entries in RTD, which i'd gladly avoind in order to keep it as simple as possible (there are already so many options out there!)

Because, often USPS is cheaper option by far than others for fast shipping. It appears on top after the zero defined option, but would rather it not be the default.
December 16, 2014 07:48PM
Need to think a little here. There are so many scenarios, and these days so few free braincells!
Will keep this page open waiting for the idea.
cos
December 19, 2014 06:07AM
Perhaps set the default as the least expensive option that is "non-zero".
January 14, 2015 09:08PM
Ok, sorry for the late reply. But I kept this open, and os finally here I am!

And should be done. I made some changes and default now should be as you suggested.

Plz try!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login