RealTimeDesigner Support Network
Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UPS & FEDEX Dimensional Weight

Posted by Admin 
UPS & FEDEX Dimensional Weight
January 15, 2015 08:17PM
With the new year, both UPS and FEDEX have shaken up the world of Ecommerce. They have implemented something called dimensional weight. This means they are now charging more for light objects in big boxes. While I understand their need for this, short of artificial intelligence, there is no way of knowing the package size when customers are buying multiple products of varying size.

We suggest that all RTD clients reconcile their shipping bills over the next few months to determine if they need to modify their shipping rates in RTD. In RTD you have the ability to modify the shipping rates by a percentage and/or a fixed dollar value.

We have checked several past orders and the results are not consistent enough for us to force some changes inside the shipping calculations. We have conjured up a couple ideas that could improve our calcuations in very specific cases, but there seems to be more exceptions than rules. So for the time being, we simply want to notify all clients to be aware of the changes made by UPS and FEDEX.

We will continue to watch the industry and see where this goes. It is a hopt topic for all the shipping and shopping cart solutions. Trust that we will be at the forefront but this isn't something that will be solved with simple code changes. It is likely that product configuration will become more complex to handle all the possible scenarios.

Mark
Re: UPS & FEDEX Dimensional Weight
January 16, 2015 11:29AM
Yea this sucks. My rates are up 21% on some box sizes. CALL your FEDEX and UPS reps and complain !!! I called mine yesterday.
January 16, 2015 02:02PM
You're not alone.
I would not want to be an UPS or Fedex rep io these days!

BTW, because of this the new project of the USPS live jumped on top position all of a sudden.
So, for everyone having open projects with me, do not expect much before next week. I'm getting headaches too on this matter
January 30, 2015 01:35PM
Going to have to give each product a size? then compare them to pre-configured box sizes with max weight per box size? So that a box can be cut off by volume or weight or quantity.

We've been wanting something like this for a long time now, to make shipping quotes faster and more accurate.
February 02, 2015 04:14AM
There are several possibilities, we're currently testing some.
As this is an open topic, let me write down the tests we made and some thoughts on the matter. Asusual, I think discussion will lead to the better solution.

No doubt a perfect match will be impossible, unless we start asking billion new data while configuring stuffs.
There are users already going nuts for the "very few" options we have already... can't imagin what would happen if I'd add even more!

The latest test we performed was about trying to reverse the concept.
The main facts are essentially these:
1) carriers are calculating no more on the real weight but on the box size
2) carriers still uses real weight if it is bigger than volumetric size

So, our test was about ignoring the max carton size you currently set in the RTD, and try to create a fake box size that would actually match the real weight plus a littme margin.
This worked essentually well, but the drawback as clear and immediate: light items in big boxes would return very wrong results (you would calculate against weight, so showing users a probablu low price: but whey you'll ship, you will use your big box and the extra expense for the shipment will be all on you)

Other idea was similar to what you proposed: having size for all products. But again, there are a number of BUTs:
Essentially, we would need to add 3 new fields for the max box size everywhere we're currently allowing to enter a weight value.
This because, in a fixed size product, it is not uncommon that different sizes are REALLY different (sometimes even twice as much), even if they're the same product.
Also htere are accessories from the configurator, in case you're using them: a banner stand can be part of the order, but it's normally bigger than the banner itself.
Finally, there are ranged products: a whole different story, especially if they can even be rolled.
So I am looking with exreme caution at ths solution, because adding 3 new fields in so many places could end up in being just too complex for normal users. In simple terms, if I have to find a solution, it must be something that will actually be used. Would be a nonsense to add so many new fields to the system if I'm expecting just couple users using them, and still with no optimal results

So, after all of this, the brainstorming is moving into yet another possible direction.
You know we currently suggested to place, as the carton sizes, the biggest box you actually have and the max weight per carton.
Now what if:
1) instead of the max, you enter the SMALLEST box size you have
2) you keep the max weight per carton as is
What would happen here is that, if wieght is very low, the smallest box size would be used. Otherwise, real weight would.
The idea could be to, instead of adding the box sizes in several new places, just enter the weight itself (which is already in there) but thinking dimensional instead of phisical.
To say it simple, let's say you have a product you know would go in a box size returning a dimensional weight of 20 Lbs: what you'd do is so to simply assign 20 as the weight for that product, instead of it's real one.
I know this might sound silly, but at the end UPS and Fedex clearly stated this: the billable weight will not be the real weight anymore, in vast majority of cases. So, what if we simply discard thinking in physical pounds but we start thinking everything in billable pounds?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login