RealTimeDesigner Support Network
Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New wave of updates - read this, it'll be interesting!

Posted by Alex 
New wave of updates - read this, it'll be interesting!
September 15, 2012 11:04AM
Hello World!
Finally Summer is almost over, and weather here is more autumn-like. I surely work better with lower temperature!
So, I was able to finalize sone new update you'll surely find useful.
Feel free to consider it the "Finally Summer is Over PACK" smiling smiley

NEW LOWRES REFERENCE IMAGE FOD VECTOR OUTPUT
We all know that vector export of orders can sometimes be frustrating. There are some known limitations (as distortions), and guidelines are not always that useful. Often the only solution was to create and refer also to the raster version.
Technically talking such issues cannot be solved yet, but I've added a new option that should help a lot.

The new option is named Include lowres image as a bottom layer?.
What it will do is to add a lowres raster version of the entire design as a fist layer in the vector itself.
When you'll edit your vector, that means such image can be removed with a single click. But, being there, it will also provide an immediate visual reference for a quick fixing of the vector itself.
This will be true for checking colors, matching distortions, and other similar stuffs. The lowres version is generated through the raster process, so it should always be a 100% match of the original user design.

For the time being the new option defaults to NO, so you'll need to explicitly ask for it to have it. After a period of live usage, we may discuss if it could be a good idea to have it ON by default.

NEW OPTION TO CREATE BETTER NAVIGATION IN THE CLIPARTS POPUP
The new option acts at Group level, so to make benefit of it you need to be using alipart groups already in your product.
Details about clipart groups can be found here.

The new option is located in the LIBRARY GROUPS => Define Cliparts Groups area, when both adding or editing groups. Its name is Show as Top Shortcut, defaulted to NO.
If enabled, on top of your cliparts popup, a shortcut link to the specific group will be added. In other words, instead of scrolling your full list of groups/categories on the left, users can use such shortcuts to quickly jump into a specific group.
There's also an optional "Show as Top Shortcut" image option as well, and it will allow you to upload an image that will be shown as the shortcut itself.

Assuming you organized well your groups, this option can help a lot in case you need to give some group better visibility/navigation. For example, to address the group listing your background-like images, or any other special category that may be important for your business. And naturally, it's an invitation of making use of Groups: they're nice and powerful, so consider switching to them, in case you hadn't already!

REVISED BORDER TOOL
In RTD there's a border tool option, that you can configure from the Edit Sizes area.
For ranged size, details are here. For fixed sizes, here.
So, please note I'm NOT talking about the "External Border", but about the very old "border" tool we always had since 2006!
Now, 6 years later, it was pretty much unuseful. So we started a revision of it.
There are less options in the screen shown in manual, and also its layout in designer changed a lot.
Also, more important, we improved it it a little bit by removing some old options that are really no more senseful to have.

WORDPRESS INTEGRATION - API POWER!
This is spam. I'm just pushing this other announcement thread: Wordpress Plugin Announced.
I just want to make sure you noticed it, and not only because of Wordpress itself: actually, it will be the first of a set of API-based tools we're planning to release.
API can be extremely powerful to create external applications based on RTD data.
By using API, external modules, new integration methods and Stores, there's really the possibility of creating almost anything without even entering in the main RTD pages.
For this reason, that Wordpress plugin is very important for us: basically, it will be the first official API-based tool we'll release!

NEW WAVE OF TEXT LABELS APPROACHING
This is still in progress, but I'm adding several text labels that was still missed.
Our goal would be to have them all in there to start creating some default sets for other languages, not only US English.
Considering you can create extra text label sets and assign them at Store level, adding those could allow you to offer your services also in other common languages around you, as for example Spanish.
I will post an update when it will be completed.

VARIOUS NEW CSS IDS AND CLASSES ADDED
You will find those from time to time, but there are 2 I'd like to highlight.

One is the local_table_clipspopup_clipnames class.
It's into the clipart popup, and defaulted with a display:none;. You can set it to display:block; in your Direct CSS are in case you want clipart names to be visible underneath thumbnails straight in the clipart popup itself

Second, even if they were created some months ago, is the set of "extclasses" classes.
They have a sintax like tabs_floatingdiv_extclass_xxx, where xxx can be various things.
It is an extra class to grant you CSS control against RTD popups, in case you want to style those in different ways.
For example, there are the tabs_floatingdiv_extclass_colors and tabs_floatingdiv_extclass_fonts classes. By styling them with !important, you will be able to alter the look of only that specific popup.
Could be very useful if, for any reason, you need your fontcolor/align/etc... popup to look different from other regular popups.

TOGGLE FOR AUTO-PREFILL OF ORDER FIELDS
There's a new option in SYSTEM OPTIONS => Company Setup, named Disable Auto-prefill Of Order Fields With Data Gathered From User's Last Order?.
It just does what it says: if enabled, registered user will no more have their last order's data (name, email, etc...) prefilled when submitting an order.
Original discussion about this option is here

OTHER IMPORTANT/INTERESTING STUFFS YOU MAY HAVE MISSED
We're all busy, so it's possible you missed some very interesting updates that had been released lately.
For your convenience, here's a list of the main ones you'd probably may like to check:

The entire Announcement board! smiling smiley
QR Codes - New Property align option - New API Actions
Textures over Colors
Ability to assign products at Store level
Cool RTD integration into existing websites examples
Easy way to set flat shipping prices
Creating a "discount code" using coupons - a simpler version

MORE!
Not enough?
Don't worry! It's too early, but we're already working on other updates as well!
Mostly will not be about new features, but tool to provide a better navigation for your users and a simplest life to admins.
Jest let me keep some secret for the next Xmas Pack, LOL!

In the meanwhile, if you'd like to, do not forget we're about to leave for the next ISA SHOW in Las Vegas. If you'll be there, step by!
More details in the dedicated thread

That's really it for the time being.
Let us know your comments about the new updates, and thanks for being part of this amazing Community!
cos
Re: New wave of updates - read this, it'll be interesting!
September 17, 2012 05:28AM
These are all great Alex. The last six months are seeing some very useful additions and changes. The "NEW LOWRES REFERENCE IMAGE FOD VECTOR OUTPUT " is BRILLIANT. Why didn't I think of that? So simple a solution to a nagging problem. For those generating artwork files, this is a huge step forward to save time and get it right.

Thanks for adding "VARIOUS NEW CSS IDS AND CLASSES ADDED". Looking forward to exploring these. Exactly what we needed.

Bravo. Thanks.
cos
September 17, 2012 11:17AM
Two questions about the classes.

1. tabs_floatingdiv_extclass_colors - It's readily possible to change the position top as in 50px. When changing the left position it is relative to the browser window. Can you suggest how positioning might be changed to fix it within the supercontainer area?

2. We would like to rid all popups of the header titles that list our company name. Such as the colors tab which reads "company name - color list" and "company name - font list". Can you id those? The goal here is to create a very basic generic designer for imbedding into various places. Perhaps you have another idea?
September 17, 2012 11:49AM
1. I'm afraid the answer is "not really".
The popups are defined with "position: absolute", which is needed to obtain the desired effect.
Unfortunately, absolute means exactly no reference with other items. So it will always be relative to the browser's entire screen.
But the question is: where you want to place it?
And, just to be sure, have you already seen/tested the new PROPERTIES ALIGNED TO ITEM'S BOX option mentioned in here?

2. There's the "color-font_popup_header" ID that is there to control precisely that.
The text you're referring to is into an H3, so this piece of CSS should do the trick:
#color-font_popup_header H3{
		display: none;
}
cos
September 17, 2012 12:00PM
1. PROPERTIES ALIGNED TO ITEM'S BOX - you know, I thought I had seen that somewhere. Thanks. Will work with it.

2. Hmmm, I tried that before. Must have goofed. Thanks. Works perfectly.
cos
September 17, 2012 02:21PM
1. PROPERTIES ALIGNED TO ITEM'S BOX as mentioned in previous posts works PERFECTLY.

Another observation: For the Options associated with Shapes it is associated with the same class. Can those be separated? I like that shapes popup can appear in center screen area, but would like to place options elsewhere.

Love, love, love this update. Have wanted to use this since day one 4 years ago.
September 17, 2012 06:45PM
My bad.
ALIGNED TO ITEM'S BOX shouldn't be used at all when adding a shape, as it's not yet an item. Now fixed.

BTW, as you're the only one replying in here, plz let me know about the new option for lowres on vectors.
I guess it's a good idea, but would also like to know if it will be working properly and really helping in editing.

Thanks!
cos
September 18, 2012 10:53AM
If one styles the color list popup to be smaller, the tooltips may disappear at the edge of the window. Is there a way to keep this from happening? I guess same would be true for other elements.
September 18, 2012 11:24AM
Unfortunately not.
Such popups make use of Iframes, so they're basically standalone pages.
For this reason, elements like the tooltips cannot be shown outside it (would be like having a page element floating... outside the page itself!)
However, I noticed this thing myself. Planning to do something similar to what I did in the cliparts popup, where the tooltip is shown on the left instead of on the right in case page borders are reached. Will let you know.
cos
September 18, 2012 11:34AM
Ideally the cliparts method is perfect all around.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login