RealTimeDesigner Support Network
Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A very cool one:Textures over colors!

Posted by Alex 
A very cool one:Textures over colors!
July 17, 2012 10:26PM
Based on this mycustomhoodies's request, it's now done!
It's now live, but I am too lazy to explain the core points of this.
So, as we tested it together, I agreed with Hoodie to... have him introducting the new feature, including where it is, what to pay attention for, and how it works against designer and hires generation.

You turn, Sir.
And thanks for the help in this smiling smiley
Re: A very cool one:Textures over colors!
July 18, 2012 12:42AM
***Please note that this is in beta testing so please test, test, test this feature and let Alex know if you run into any problems!***

Ok guys, here it is. We think this one is pretty cool and has a lot of potential to it. I requested a feature where instead of using a solid background, we could use different textures, images, or anything as the background image. As a screenprinter working with apparel, my dilemma was this: I could input shirt colors that were solid, but there was never any way to add a shirt that was an athletic heather (those sports shirts that are grey and speckled) and make it look realistic. I always had to just use a solid color close to it and then just say in the designer that it would be a heather (never got any orders with this). Alex was also able to get this to work on design elements as well (text, cliparts, shapes, etc). One example where this would work well for me as a printer is I could add a glitter or foil ink to my color selections and then emulate the look of shimmering design on a shirt, very cool!

So after much talk with Alex, and him being the genius he is, he got this to work and I must say it will open up a ton of possibilities for different industries. Here is how you can implement this feature:

1. Go into your admin panel and on the left hand side go to the tab "Library Items -> Define Colors".

2. Once in there it is easy. You are just going to add a color at the top like you normally would. When adding your color value, pick a color as close as you can to the texture.

3. You now have an upload button to choose your texture from a file on your computer. Upload your file and that is really all there is to it! So easy!

You may notice that some of the color value you input may come through in places which is why it is important to pick a color as close as possible.

This feature is simply only an effect! When an order is placed, you will see in the jpeg preview the effect taking place on either your product or the design, whichever or both the effect is placed on. However, when you go to download the Hires generation in PDF, PNG, JPG, etc, the effect will not be in place on that. This is another important reason you will want to pick a color as close as possible to the texture so that when you generate your file, your color is as true as possible.

As a screenprinter, this is going to be an amazing addition as now I can create products that may have multiple colors, stripes, tye-dyes, etc without having to create a completely seperate item for them.

Alex and I are going to try to think of industry specific products that this could be extremely useful for and give you all some examples. Big props to Alex for pulling this one together so fast! It is an awesome addition.

Alex, feel free to add anything you feel like I am missing!
July 18, 2012 06:08AM
Just perfect!

I'd only add 2 things.

1st is about pricing. It's probably obvious, but I'd like to say this clearly because it may be important for some users.
Textures are exclusively used as effects in designer. Everything else, including hires generation and color count will not be affected by them. So, if your pricing is based on th number of colors, don't worry and go ahead because textures will not affect it.

2nd is about textures files. When possible, better to upload a file as small as possible to match the effect you want.
A 200x200 tilable one generally works just fine.
If, for your effect, you need someting bigger than that, I'd recommend to use it only for BGcolors: after all, texts/shapes and clips wouldn't be too big in any case. This is important because big files could slowdown final image creation.

You can try it yourself now, however I've attached a screenshot from the testserver to show you a possible result.
In there, all is done by using textures: the BGcolor, Text color, Shape color and also the clipart recolors.

That's it!
Let me know about issues (if you'll find them), and feel free to share you thoughts/crazy ideas on this as well.

Enjoy!
Attachments:
open | download - texture_test.jpg (162.5 KB)
September 18, 2012 11:52PM
I will have to try this one out Alex!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login