Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

switch to global color change mode

Posted by customsigncenter-1 
switch to global color change mode
October 04, 2018 03:12PM
Good afternoon.
Trouble in paradise today.
the sales people are using the 'switch to global color change mode' in their templates - see link below
(all templates are behaving this way)

Template link

unfortunately it's not working as expected.
see images attached. when they use the global color deep red or in the image pms 1817 the color changes to a very light ghosted version of that color, like a very light pink, see attached image 5.
the images walk you through what I did, the link is the link of the template I was working on.

I do not know and can not find that feature anywhere to see what is going on.
can you please tell me what it is that's doing that?

thanks so much for your help.
tamara
Attachments:
open | download - rtd-help-1.jpg (901.1 KB)
open | download - rtd-help-2.jpg (904.6 KB)
open | download - rtd-help-3.jpg (801.9 KB)
open | download - rtd-help-4.jpg (856.5 KB)
open | download - rtd-help-5.jpg (898.1 KB)
Re: switch to global color change mode
October 05, 2018 12:37AM
Hello,

What you see is actually correct. Let me explain how this works.

If you change the color of a clipart in normal mode, and if the clipart has less than 16 colors, you are offered to select a color from the image by clicking on it, and then selecting a replacement color.
What RTD does then is to phisically replace the clicked color with the selected color, and that would give you the result you're expecting. Technically, as you can imagine, such replacement can work only when there's a one-to-one match, like replace exact color X with exact color Y.

Global mode for cliparts is different, though.
When you go global, you cannot select any specific color of the clipart because multiple clipart are involved.
So, when you mass recolor cliparts, when RTD does can no more be a one-to-one replacement (as it does not know what the "selected" color is), and so it does a "tint". And this is the reason why you see what you're seeing: that color is the result of the entire clipar tinted with the selected color, which is in some way similar to converting a color image to grayscale.
When you go grayscale you're not making the image "black": based on image itself, you're "tinting" it with shades of gray.
This is obvious, as if going to black what you'd obtain would be a solid black image.
Well, what is happening is just the same: you're converting the image to "redscale" and tinting it with shades of red.
And the way it works is simple: the darker the color, the "reddish" it will be.

In short, when using global change, the only color that will be replaced to look exactly like the selected color will be black.
To make it clear, try to use the simple 2-colors pure bw_test clipart I attached and apply global color change with it in the design.
You will see that white stays white, while black becomes the exact color you selected.

Now: in your template, the clipart being the top part has 56 unique colors, while the bottom one has 13.
Infact, if you will try to change the color of each of them separately, you will notice that only the bottom one will allow you to do so. The top one will show Color for this clipart is not editable (it uses 56 unique colors)..
What you have to do in order to use global color change as you wish, is to replace those with versions meant to be black where you want it changed.

Long story short, using global change and so without telling the RTD which exact color it should replace, the way out is to build BW images meant to be "tinted", when pure black will become the selected color and lighter shades will become lighter version of it as well, up to white staying white.

Something like the attached bottom_test image gives the idea, if you'll try that.
Attachments:
open | download - bw_test.gif (1.2 KB)
open | download - bottom_test.png (3 KB)
October 09, 2018 08:54AM
your explanation is very helpful. I'll be turning that off now. lol

thanks for your help.
tamara
October 09, 2018 09:01AM
ooops! there is no button in configurations that turns off this global coloring feature, please let me know how to disable it.
thanks
tamara
October 10, 2018 02:15AM
In PRODUCT OPTIONS => Configure Products => your product the setting is under Configure Generator.
In the CLIPARTS FEATURES column, disable the Color selection option for cliparts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login