RealTimeDesigner Support Network
Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uploading Images Directly into the Product Stage

Posted by Ernesto 
Uploading Images Directly into the Product Stage
March 30, 2016 10:46AM
I'm not sure if this would be a setting option or a mod request. Is there a way for users to click on "Upload File" followed by their computer file window opening immediately for them to choose their file? Instead of the current "What would you like to do?" window? We're trying to eliminate the two other steps for our users when uploading images. It would be even better for us if their images get placed directly into the product stage after they choose the image from their computer. Thanks for the great product and forum.
Re: Uploading Images Directly into the Product Stage
April 01, 2016 03:54AM
Something like this could probably be done with JS hacks on your store.
That's a complex method, but allows to "rewrite" some of the core RTD functionalities.
Idea here would be force a virtual click on the "choose file" button (so that the file window would show immediately), and then alter the behavior of the clipart browser in RTD to automatically "click" the latest image.

However, I have a question: by doing something like this, it would become impossible for users to simply browse and re-use eventual already uploaded cliparts. With the features you're asking for in place, how are you planning to allow them to browse their existing library? Or are you thinking at not allowing them to use it at all?
April 01, 2016 10:53AM
Hi Alex. Nice to know it's possible. We're hoping to eliminate the Custom Clipart Library. If it's not shown in the product stage then it's not uploaded at all. We know it will add more work if they are using the same images for multiple products but most of our orders have been single image on single products. When you get a chance could you send us a quote? We would like to do this for both of our active RTD stores. Thanks so much for the response and your time.
April 04, 2016 03:35AM
Ok, but I still have a question: are you making use of registered users or not?
I'm asking because registered users are meant exactly to do things like "keep my uploads and saved designs there forever", and you can imagine what a mess could happen if we disallow them the possibility of reusing cliparts (and so also deleting them). IF and when someone would need the same cliparts multiple times, we would just create an army of "zombie cliparts" in the RTD that can only sit there forever.

So: are you currently using registered user features or not?

Thanks,

Alex
cos
April 05, 2016 12:22PM
A suggestion that may be a good solution for everyone . . . What about adding an extra step after the upload and before showing the clipart in the library "Image successfully uploaded. Would you like to add it to the design now?" If yes, then go directly to the designer. If no, show the usual library.
April 07, 2016 02:58AM
Unsure about that... would be "yet another" step at the end. Don't you think that might cuase even more confusion, especially if the goal is to try reducing the needed steps?
When they upload, the last uploaded image is the 1st in the list, and underneath that there's already the "add to my design" button. Adding a step like this would feel strange to me (and I think annoying for users that are uploading several files in a row)
cos
April 07, 2016 07:10AM
Answering from Ernesto's question (which Ernesto will need to do) and having no viable solution, the extra step cancels a step for his users in what to do after the upload. But, it adds a step for everyone else. Kinda catch 22.

From real world experience, I can tell you that we've fielded a number of calls from users who can't figure it out. I know. It seems simple to us. We are fine as it is. Ernesto could show/hide what he wants on the page to strip it down. It could possibly help to change the appearance of the buttons under the design. There's five identical buttons. Five choices for the user. Perhaps the Add to Design button could be highlighted different color and the others smaller and less prominent color.
April 07, 2016 10:43AM
Sorry for the delayed response Alex. I was out the last few days. Thanks for the extra idea and options COS. We do have the registered users enabled but we don't actively use it since it would require the customer to have two different logins since we're using WordPress/WooCommerce (pre RTD WP Plugin) for both stores. I hid the login button in the designer popup. The second store is using the super duper RTD WP Plugin you developed (THANK YOU!). It's so great for returning customers to see the art from previous orders. Our first store will probably be switched over to the same format to have the same features.

The answer would be No for Registered Users for both stores. I should just go ahead and disable it from the RTD admin. If I do will this affect the RTD WP Plugin for the second store when returning customer login into Woocommerce to see previous orders?

Again, sorry for the delayed response and sorry for the not answering the question properly the first time.
April 11, 2016 12:41PM
Hello,

I'm facing some very busy days here, but I wanted to show up.
I'll reply in better depth during the week.

Thanks for your patience!
April 12, 2016 08:48AM
No problem. Thanks for the update.
April 19, 2016 02:04AM
Ok, I am here. Sorry for the delay.

So: I checked your RTD company, and I see that you have barely no registered users at all in there.
Only one created in 2015, and everyone else created in between 2013 and 2014.
This tells me that registered users of RTD is not a feature you're using at all, at the end. So I think it should be safe to turn it off.

But now, back to the topic.
I made some tests, and I have a good/bad news.
As I mentioned, the idea would had been to virtually click the file browse button to automatically open file dialog.
The good news is I had been able to arrange a code that works;
The bad news is SECURITY. In short, and I can understand this, some browsers are simply not allowing the code to run automatically.
To say it simple, for security reasons, some browsers allows interaction with the operating system only when EXPLICITLY invoked by users: which means, when the users physically clicks on something.
What we're trying to do is to automate this, and this is why it is considered a security threat.
Per my tests, the code works on FF but not in Chrome. And I'm not sure about how it could behave on Macs and mobile devices.

Browser security is not something we (obviously) have any control over, so I think this is simply not something you should consider doing, to avoid mixed actions and frustration because of unexpected behaviors based on used browser/version.

I am sorry about this, but my advice at this point would probably be not to do this at all.
A most, I'd instead work on CSS to make the upload steps bigger and cleaner (IE, pretty big UPLOAD YOUR FILE button and short/good text label on what to do on performed upload).
At the very end, although I understand the point of eliminating steps, the true goal is users to easily understand what they have to do.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
April 19, 2016 08:36AM
Wow. Thanks so much for the detailed response and research efforts. I agree with you and totally understand. Updating the menu with CSS is definitely what we'll do. We appreciate all your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login