Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

About Fotolia and Adobe

Posted by Alex 
About Fotolia and Adobe
December 17, 2018 01:49PM
Hello,

As you know the RTD offers the ability of integrating your designer with Fotolia images.
This is possible because of a special deal we were able to close with them, and for now everything is ok.

But as you probably heard already, after being acquired by Adobe, Fotolia will actually be killed by it. It's going to be "Adobe Stock".
Of course I was following this thing pretty closely because of the impact it can have on RTD as well. The main answers had been found here:
https://www.fotolia.com/Info/Faq/Closure

In short, Fotolia will be closed forever on November 2019. But the API, which is what we're using for integration, will have a different timeline. That same page states:

As of May 6, 2019, the Fotolia API program and corresponding Fotolia API Terms of Use are terminated

So OUR deadline will be closer. And after that you can read:

If you would like to use an API after April 5, 2019, we have recreated many of the same features in our Adobe Stock API, powered by Adobe Sensei, Adobe’s innovative machine learning technology

Well, that will be the point. In the early months of 2019 we will get in touch with Adobe to see what they can offer. However, there's really no guarantee they'll renew our deal just as it was. If that will be the case we will only have 3 options:
1) not using external image providers anymore
2) find a differene image provider company
3) keep Adobe Stock but rise the per-cliart prices RTD have to charge you based on whatever the new agreement will be.

Of course right now is still to early to see where this will go, but as we're receiving questions on this matter from several users I felt to write down an official update about the status. I'll post updates as soon as I'll have any.
cos
Re: About Fotolia and Adobe
April 16, 2019 07:25AM
Pixabay has a rich library of images and an api. Would love to see them added to rtd if licensing is acceptable. Pixabay site
May 07, 2019 11:03AM
An update.

It looks like fotolia is now gone. From the RTD, every search with it should return no results.
We are already working with a new provider, whoever is currently using Fotolia should get an email from our staff pretty soon about this and eventual new pricing policies.

When this will be done (and will be soon, probably before the end of this week), your integration will work just as before with no need of changes on your end.
Only one will be about logos and labels as it will no more be "Fotolia" but something else.

I'll post here again when the new provider will be in place.
May 12, 2019 01:56AM
Another update.

The new provider will be Dreamstime.
Testing is doing good, techincally we'd be good to release.
However I am waiting for a reply from Dreamstime about some results of their API, specifically to build a proper pagination system. Although it might sound minor, without proper pagination I cannot offer proper... navigation!

I assume I'll get such reply eary next week, but I'll be away till Wednesday evening.
So, all together, I think we should be good to release next Thursday or Friday. If when back I'll find that reply, it should be a matter of hours. Everything else is already tested and working just fine.

Also there's another thing: with Fotolia we had a test feature enabled only for few selected RTD users. Now we plan to release it for eveyrone.
In short, it will allow RTD users to purchase Dreamtimes images right from the RTD admin panel, instead of being forced to place a real order in order to do this.
We think it will be an appreciated feature for all users in sporadic need of hi-res images

So, thank you for your patience, and I'll have more news soon!
May 16, 2019 01:49AM
And it's done!!!

So: if your company had Fotolia enabled, now you will automatically see and use Dreamstime instead.
In general everything should work identical from user perspective. However we all know only live use can detect possible bugs, so please le me know immediately in case of anything strange.

As a side note: for the time being, I left the direct purchase feature enabled only for companies who already had that.
This because I'd like to first verify with them if everything is ok, as all other users simply do not know what they should expect.
For this, if you are using that feature, please let me know about your results directly via email instead of the forums.

There's not really much to add for now, so I'll be waiting for your input and feedback.

Enjoy!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login