Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"One color" for custom cliparts and other updates

Posted by Alex 
"One color" for custom cliparts and other updates
April 19, 2010 10:45AM
First, the quick one.
Now it's possible to use HTML also for the "SHORT DESIGNER INSTRUCTIONS" text.
It's the text, visible right into designer, that you can configure in "SYSTEM OPTIONS => Configure Help Labels"

The new one, is about giving users the ability to edit their uploaded cliparts and change them to "one color" clips.
The new "Make 1 color" button will appear below each uploaded custom clipart, into the custom cliparts popup in designer.
The button will appear only for non-vector images having more than 2 unique colors.
Also, immediately below each image, i've added a quick label to list how many unique colors it contains: it will be shown as a numberical value if colors are <=256, else the string "truecolor" will be printed out.

Now about the new button's features. It's very simple.
Users will have to choose a color fron your colorlist, and the mode o apply it.
The "Monochrome" more is the one that will really do 2 colors only (the transparent one plus the chosen one): that will be good for example, for customers who are uploading as JPG something as simple as a black drawing on while BG.

The "Monotone" option will instead create an image with more colors, as it will recolor the image only with gradients ofd the chosen color. Just like having a colored glass placed on top of the grayscaled image.
This second option may be a bit slow to perform its task, it depends on the source image (a 4 MB JPG photo will need almost 40 seconds).

Now this feature is live, so please let me know what you think or what should be eventually changed ASAP!
Re: "One color" for custom cliparts and other updates
April 19, 2010 02:08PM
I like the new options for 1 color and monotone alex! I do have one suggestion though. Can we make the options more easy to understand for the common user? Maybe put some instructions above the options, then by each button have the ability to describe with that option will do?
April 19, 2010 02:12PM
There's already room for some texts.
So far, before turning all of them into text labels, we'de need some good defaults.
Do you have any suggestion about better labels/descriptions for a better user understanding?
April 19, 2010 02:35PM
I will make a mock up of what I would put in the pop-ups. Also, when I click on "change clipart" after I have the selected clipart that I uploaded placed on the shirt, it just takes me to the categories page for choosing clipart. I think it should take me to the part where I can edit the clipart, or crop it, or whatever in the uploading feature window again. What do you think?
April 19, 2010 02:39PM
Alex- Also, is it possible to get a zoom feature? Maybe have a button that zooms in to the design field and only uses the transparent color background with a square around it symbolizing the design area. Then to see the actual shirt you click on product view. You can move them both around in each view, but in design view it is closer and zoomed in.
April 19, 2010 02:45PM
One more thing...when you click on align options for clipart and center it- it automatically does it. There is no need for the APPLY button to be there and just confuses the user in my opinion, plus it actually moves the clipart to another spot anyway because it doesn't work properly. The regular buttons work perfectly, just not the "APPLY" button. This is inside the Align options pop-up on a piece of clipart.

Thanks Alex-
Kyle
April 19, 2010 05:09PM
"change clipart" issue: fixed, now it will lead you to the custom files, if the clip was a custom one.

Align and "apply": actually, it does work as expected.
The "apply" button is to apply the "PIXELS" values users can enter manually.
However, there are plans to move that part somewhere else, probably into the item boxes themselves

ZOOM: this is very hard to do in our designer, as it's based on JAvascript and not flash.
As RTD was initially a tool mainly for signs and banners, such a feature was not really needed because of "sides".
Still, i understand this is something different for the shirts. Probably this too will be part of the "garmet TC" we were talking about
April 19, 2010 07:07PM
"However, there are plans to move that part somewhere else, probably into the item boxes themselves"

I think this is a very good idea. You should take all popups and put them into the item boxes...in other words have the pop-up populate the selected element item... I.E. if you are on a font item, have all the popup info pop up under that item in that box. Less pop-ups seem better and don't confuse the user in my opinion. You are the programmer and I trust your logic! Thanks Alex! I will be in touch for the TC soon.
cos
April 20, 2010 09:59AM
Alex
First, the quick one.
Now it's possible to use HTML also for the "SHORT DESIGNER INSTRUCTIONS" text.
It's the text, visible right into designer, that you can configure in "SYSTEM OPTIONS => Configure Help Labels"

Hey people DON'T OVERLOOK THIS QUICK ONE. This can be huge. The change was from discussions at the show. Alex, this is even greater than I imagined because the "SHORT DESIGNER INSTRUCTIONS" text can be moved to just over the top of the design area. It is now possible to do some very creative things with this section. The additional button we discussed adding in the designer can be easily added here by those who want to program it in. Can't wait to start digging into this, but so busy right now. Thanks for the quick work.
April 20, 2010 02:40PM
Where exactly does this show up?
cos
April 20, 2010 02:55PM
This is the area in the designer titled "Instructions" on the "Configure Layout" screen in admin, so you can place it wherever works for your layout of the design window. The html can be applied in "Configure Help Labels" and is the "Short Designer Instructions".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login