RealTimeDesigner Support Network
Wiki Forums Libraries Docs Support RealTimeDesigner Home
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cliparts keywording: let's start brainstorming

Posted by Alex 
Cliparts keywording: let's start brainstorming
March 25, 2010 01:48PM
Time to start a bit seriously on this issue.
Sadly i had not enough time to produce something before Orlando, but i am ready to start soon.
However, there are some small things i'd like to discuss here first.

A basic keywording system would be easy: just a text field for each clipart in which you can write the keywords, and a simple search box in designer to allow users searching for them.
While this simle approach may sound enough, i quickly realized how limited it could be. Especially thinking at very high number of cliparts.
I feel the best way would be more similar to "tagging" than plain "keywording": fact is something similar could be handled in many ways. I am here now to decide which one to follow.

At a general level, tagging could be used also to create sort of categories: if we will enable not only search, but also something like an "all tags listing", the same clipart could be found in multiple "tag categories", while with actual structure a clipart can be assigned to a single category only.
With this approach, from a user perspective, we would have 3 main options to search for cliparts:
1) the actual category based structure (browse categories => select clipart)
2) the tag-category based structure (browse tags => select clipart)
3) free search (search => find clipart => select clipart)

For the free search i would think at adding also some extra options, just like in admin panel.
For example, allow a filter to show only cliparts with up to X colors, or a filter for vector only cliparts.
The search filed itself, i'd say, would search in two main places: the tags, and the filenames.

If this structure seems promising to you, the biggest issue to solve will be how to manage those tags at admin level.
A simple text field may be dangerous, as two different words like "plane" and "planes" would be considered 2 different tags too. A solution may be to create a new library where to define all tags as single words, and let you select which library tags to associate with each clipart.
Naturally, i would clreate something to do mass-assign of those tags, as doing every single clipart by hand would really be an impossible job.
The other option would be not to use a tag library, and really allow the simple text field only: but i feel that may be hard to manage, as you would have no places where to see which tags you've already created (the text field would be something like a comma-separated text for each clipart).

To me, the tags library idea seems the best.
I would even consider the option of completely removing the actual category system, and completely replace it with tags themselves (in this case, i would initially transform all categories into tag library entries and i would assign them to cliparts that are already assigned to those categories).

However, as this will involve various changes to the clipart structure, i would like to hear your opinion on this plan, as well as possible suggestions or concerns.
Consider this: once i will start, altering it more will probably be muhc difficult. So better to spend few days in planning all and being sure the final result will provide a flexible enough structure.

At coding level, i would start to do this when back from Orlando, so let's say around mid of April.
Discussion will be open till then.

Thanks in advance to everyone who will join this discussion!
Re: Cliparts keywording: let's start brainstorming
March 25, 2010 03:08PM
Huhm...

In my opinion a user flows like this through the system:

1. Click to design (then is taken to designer)
2. Clicks either text or Clipart to add or uploads own art
3. If they click on clipart, then they are used to typing the word say "race car" in the search box.
4. If it was tags or it said "tag categories"- the user in my opinion would be confused.

The keyword search option combined with the category option is best and seems to be the best flow. Tagging can be very confusing in my opinion.

-I can't wait to discuss in Orlando. I will be there for the meeting on that friday!

Alex, I am so glad that you are taking this issue of searching cliparts on!
March 31, 2010 02:30PM
I think the most direct approach is probably best. While us as business owners in each of our industries fully understand all these different senerios, I believe that the average customer does not has the patients nor the will to figure out different approaches to something that they feel should be simple. They are trying to accomplish one thing, "find an image for their design". I my opinion customers just want the simplest and easiest way to complete thier task. Adding a bit of complexity to the mix will only lead to confusion for a person that isn't involved in the everyday operations of our respected industries.

When I am designing a graphic for a customer I always have to remember that my customer doesn't see things the way I see them. I will sit at a design and think "how can I make this design POP off the shirt for them". I don't like to give a customer something just simple. Everytime I do this though they always say "oh that is great but I really just like what we gave you". So I have learned that unless the customer gives me the freedom to be creative then I just give them just what in their eyes is an Awesome design. I have to remember they are the creator of their art and everyone feels a sense of pride for their very own creation just the way I do. What I am trying to say is, I think sometimes we try to over think things and that leads to frustrations. Alex as a programmer you are an Master Artist in your programming abilities. I know this must be thought out carefully before you start your journey. All I am saying is lets think about it from a consumer prospective.

Custom T-Shirts
May 09, 2010 12:24AM
Alex-

How is the keyword search option coming along?
May 10, 2010 08:57AM
Still have to start it. So many things to do in these days, i had to decide which issue to give priority.
Actually, i am working on team and numbers.
cos
May 10, 2010 09:08AM
Alex, keep in mind that team and numbers concept can be applied to many other items besides tee shirts. For instance:

Yard Signs: 10 signs that all have the same design, except the phone number is changed.
Business Cards: 10 sets of cards - same design, but different name and phone number.

etc.

This will be very useful for all users.
May 10, 2010 10:01AM
Oh yes!
As usual, i'm making everything as generl as possible. I like the direction of what i've done so far.
As soon as possible i will ask for opinions on that too. I've finished the GUI part, now i am defining how to treat them at pricing matrix level
May 10, 2010 02:15PM
Awesome...I can't wait!
May 18, 2010 04:06AM
Alex-
I have been reviewing all the posts and wanted to point this out.

"A basic keywording system would be easy: just a text field for each clipart in which you can write the keywords, and a simple search box in designer to allow users searching for them. "- Alex

That is the best idea for keywords in my opinion. we should just seperate each keyword with a comma like most system do. Great idea!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login